Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A few thoughts on Tiger

Over the last few weeks, any person not living under a rock has been bombarded with stories about Tiger and his harem of mistresses. Personally, I don't really care if he was faithful or not, its not my business. The only relationship that I have with Tiger is watching him play golf. That relationship has been working just fine for over a decade. As far as I know, there is only one woman that Tiger cheated on, therefore no other person has the need to loathe Tiger. Unfortunately for golf fans, Tiger has been forced to step away from golf, to concentrate on his marriage. I commend him for putting his family first, but I will be taking a break from watching golf until his break is over.

What I truly find fascinating is that the Media has decided to keep this story going, and going, and going. I would love to know why they care so much. All the media has done is push Tiger out of golf. There are now reports that Tiger is going into seclusion in the south of France, due to their strict media laws. The media has traded decades of future golf stories, for 3 weeks of juicy gossip. Tiger has always been an extremely private with his personal life, I can only imagine how quiet he will be when he comes back to golf.

Growing up I loved Michael Jordan, Emmit Smith, and Rickey Henderson. I loved watching them play and dominate there respective sports. The Media also loved these athletes, therefore they resisted the urge to out the indiscretion's of dominate athletes. As we all know, Michael Jordan had his fair share of mistress's, so why didn't the media report on them. I would argue that they preferred to watch MJ play basketball, then to chase him into seclusion. I am in no way arguing that adultery is acceptable or reasonable, I just don't care if they are committing it.

All in all, I would rather watch Tiger play golf then read about his sex life. unfortunately, the mainstream media has decided that 3 weeks of gossip is better than a decade plus of great golf stories. I hope they enjoy the next two years of watching lefty, Daly, and every other mediocre golfer. I for one will miss sunday golf, the red shirt that has single handedly shaken the will of great players, and the fist pump that comes after a 52 footer. I will miss you Tiger. See you in few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment